Thursday, July 31, 2008

when it rains, it pours!

I've had such a crazy week here. As compassionate service leader in our ward, I've had it pretty easy with no funeral luncheons since May 2007. Then we have three people die and a new baby born in three days. And a couple of other sweet old ladies about to pass away any day now. Funeral luncheons are quite a bit of work to organize, and hours of standing on my feet the day of. We got through one yesterday, another in the works for Saturday. This morning, everything was in control. The kids and I had dental checkups (no cavities!) and then my sis-in-law and four of her kids coming to play in the afternoon. About five minutes before they arrive, I notice a puddle of water on the floor on the other side of the wall behind our refridgerator. None of the kids admit to dumping water there. I wipe it up, then it slowly returns, oozing from under the baseboard. I pull out the fridge (not easy) to find it apparently dry back there. I clean up the disgusting dirty mess that always collects under the fridge when you don't clean it for years at a time. I wait for the dishwasher to finish it's cycle, thinking maybe the leak is coming from there--nope! It's still soaking through towels! Finally, while playing downstairs with the kids' cousins, I discover a wall with paint bubbling up full of water! Now I know it's serious, and I should have checked for this much earlier. Luckily, I reached a trusted plumbing company that was able to come out right away. It took a while and two square holes cut in our drywall to find the right location of the leak, but finally found it: a narrow hose that takes water to the icemaker and water in the door of the fridge had split within the subfloor (the ceiling of the basement). It was spurting quite a bit of water, so we are lucky I found it today and not in a few days, or after returning from our trip last month! Still, we have some warped hardwood floor, peeled off paint and drywall to patch. I completely forgot about planning the funeral luncheon, so more to do tomorrow. Hope things go smoothly for the rest of the week--I don't think I can take any more surprise repair jobs!

5 comments:

Fiddlefish said...

Wow! Ummm, yeah -- a bit stressful I'd say. Fortunately it seems like it was caught early. What a blessing! Drywall patches are not hard -- time consuming, but not hard. There is spray texture you can buy to put over it after it is mudded/sanded. It'll be back to new in no time!

Tara

Tuihalalalala said...

Shellee....awww here's a hug and another. I hope things calm down. Those funerals are a lot of work. My mom used to have that position and RS Pres.....Wow I remember we were doing funerals for sweet old people I didn't even know and that was the same stake that you and I all grew up in. Well another hug Good Luck next week. Thanks for the sweet comments...

Tuihalalalala said...

I know it's not your eyes blurred I really am up at 1 Am, can't sleep. so I am reading your blog. hehehe

Shellee said...

Mary, my sister in law is the one with these trials. (She handles them so much more gracefully that I ever could hope for!)
Marisa, what I said to Mary is so very true. I think you are awesome and know that you can handle things like this. Matt and Kezhia had a pipe burst and they got through that! You'll be fine.
Delegate, Delegate, delegate... at least these next few days to the RS Presidency! That's what RS is for!

heather said...

Hey This is Heather from college. So fun to catch up...can I add your blog to my list and check in?